Could your organisation provide a life-changing opportunity? by Tower Hamlets Education Business Partnership
Tower Hamlets Education Business Partnership is an education charity established in 1991 which works across one of the most diverse and disadvantaged communities in the UK. Our borough suffers from an entrenched cycle of poverty, with the highest child poverty rate of any UK local authority according to research by the End Child Poverty Coalition. Youth unemployment figures in Tower Hamlets remain the highest across London despite improved academic achievement and economic growth in the City and Canary Wharf. Inter-generational unemployment is common.
To tackle this disadvantage and to ensure the next generation of young people are equipped to access the many and varied employment opportunities in London, we place 2,500 students in work experience every year. These first tastes of the world of work strengthen students’ understanding of the sectors and roles available to them, grow their independence and confidence in new situations, and provide students who have few connections with the world of work with a reference for their CV and real-life examples for interview questions.
Can your organisation become a host?
To place our 2,500 students every year, we constantly need new companies to volunteer as hosts. We make the process extremely simple for host organisations, with internal benefits for staff development too:
- Placements are only 1 week long with limited hours (eg 10am – 4pm)
- Comprehensive booklet of activities and tips provided to companies.
- Staff do not need a DBS check
- No cost to the company financially
- THEBP will endeavour to find students interested in the host’s industry
- Teachers match students to companies based on the information we are given and what kind of student the company would like
- A great opportunity to diversify their workforce and strengthen links with local community
- Development opportunity for younger members of staff/ graduates as they get to supervise a more junior person.
- THEBP is the main point of contact throughout the process and companies and staff are fully supported from start to end.
For more information on how you can host a student, please contact Sorcha Hughes:
More information on the scheme is available here: